Did you ever have a similar conversation with your boss? I’m sure you did. We all experience the unproductivity beast at times. In case you don’t recognize it, try this for size. You just spent a whole day procrastinating about your lack of productivity and go to bed a frustrated person, ready to do another day of … doing nothing.
When We Have To Stop Kidding Ourselves
It’s OK to be a master procrastinator from time to time, but not most of the time! Interestingly though, a lot of people who claim they can’t make money online are exactly that! They busy themselves with meaningless tasks such as reading blogs, eBooks, tutorials, email, and the countless other tasks we do each day. Oh, I did forget Twitter, chat and other social media.
If you don’t see growth in your business, look at what you DO each day to help your business grow. Do you actively:
- Market your business?
- Work your business to earn money?
- Brand your business?
- Network with people who can bring you new business?
When we are unproductive, we usually are for good reasons. We could be:
- Exposed to constant distractions.
- Unhappy about our working environment.
- Unclear about directions.
- Resenting our boss.
- Experiencing a lack of passion/drive.
- Or we could simply suck at self-management.
- Work in short productive bursts. The burst is determined by your concentration span. For some this relates to 20 minutes at a time, while others can last a full 45 minutes.
- After each productivity burst take a short break to refresh your mind and body.
- Drink lots of water. Try to avoid too much coffee (yeah, I now it’s my vice too.)
- Opt to work in a no distraction zone whenever you can.
- Make sure your office is well lit and has fresh air.
- Start the day with the most complicated task.
- Work out a system that works for you, forget what the gurus say.
Feel free to add your tips on becoming more productive.